Currently, there is a good variety of electric bikes and trikes on the market. However, most products are not designed for all weather conditions. There’s a void in the market for weather-protected e-Bikes and e-Trikes that can be used in the city and to explore nature. This category allows for more freedom in ideation and brave concepts; however, there are some design requirements to be considered:
- Context of use:
- The solution must be suitable for recreation and transportation.
- Commuting in the rain, sand storm, or high UV.
- Exercise (pedal assist ride)
- Used by city dwellers living in condos or small houses
- The solution should be transportable by an SUV or a minivan.
- Must fit in a standard bike lane.
- Light, compact, and easily transportable
- Maximum three wheels
- Powered by Hub motor
- Take-apart design for easy shipping and storage
- Cockpit enclosed and weatherproof
- Optional: Protect rider from air pollution
- Performance and constraints:
- Max Speed: 32 km/h
- Max Motor power: 500W
- Range: Minimum 40km
- Max Width: 36in (must fit inside bike lane)
- Max Weight: 65kg
- Payload or Child Seat Carrying capacity
- Front Screen to have anti-fog or water repellent design (wipers etc.)