Existing off-road recreational vehicles like quads and side-by-sides have considerable environmental effects. Using fossil fuels and generating lots of noise to explore nature would be a paradoxical and ironic choice. ENVO wants to take the challenge and develop electric mobility solutions to explore nature with excellent efficiency on the road and off-road. Here are the main design requirements for submissions in this category:
- Context of use:
- Recreational use, paved road, and off-road.
- Horse ranches
- Agricultural and farm work
- Security patrolling (e.g., festivals, large commercial buildings, etc.)
- Search and Rescue
- Four wheels, stable design with a low center of gravity
- Hub motors; either two or four-wheel drive.
- Front and rear suspension. Travel to be determined by the designer.
- Optional: Suspension could also be used as a steering input with a leaning mechanism,
- The cockpit can be enclosed/weatherproof or open.
- A modular platform is desirable, so variable options like seats and extendable cargo can be added or removed.
- Swappable and modular batteries to be used.
- Performance and constraints:
- Speed: 65 km/h
- Motor power: Minimum of 3 kW.
- Range: Minimum 80km
- Width: Maximum 110cm
- Wheelbase: Maximum 200cm
- Weight: Maximum 140kg (including batteries)
- Power input: No constraints. Examples: Thumb throttle, foot pedal, etc.
- Steering input: No constraints. Designer to consider power steering depending on the application. Examples: handlebar, leaning mechanism, etc.
- Brakes: Hydraulic disc brakes. Regenerative braking is optional.
- Wheel and Tire size: No constraint.
- Lights: High power front lights + rear braking lights. Other lights are optional.
- Turning Radius: 5m maximum